Tuesday, September 16, 2008

As Seen on TV (Phase 1)

Do you have picky eaters? Have you seen this? Have you tried it?
I have one of the pickiest eaters (Braden) so when I saw Jessica Seinfield on Oprah I decided to give her book a try. If you're not familiar with the hooplah surrounding this book, go here to her website for the info. When I first heard about it, I thought, No thank you...way too much work. But then I tried some cookies and brownies that friends of mine made and they weren't too bad. So finally, after seeing her on Oprah again I decided to give it a try. (Apparently I wasn't the only one because I bought the LAST book at Barnes & Noble that day.)

The concept is simple: disguise vegetables in food that your kids will actually eat. You start off by buying whatever veggies you like and steaming/cooking them and then pureeing them so that you have a bunch of purees on hand in the freezer. Then you simply defrost them and add it to a meal. I did pretty much every vegetable that she suggested to start off with. It is a bit time consuming the first time, but after that you're just replenishing what you've used.
Step 1: steam or cook the vegetable (here I'm doing red bell peppers)

Step 2: Puree the vegetables. (Spinach)

Carrots-look what they did to my blade:( Here's what I ended up with. I seriously did this during Tanner's nap. I used Spinach, Butternut squash, yellow squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, pineapple, a berry mix (strawberries, mango, and raspberries) and probably one or two more I'm forgetting. Each baggie holds 1/2 cup and has the date and name of the vegetable. I also did some fruit although I don't have a problem getting Braden to eat fruit.
Look for a second blog to see what meal I made first...

4 comments:

Jodie said...

I saw this book from Melissa. I'm interested in how to get the kids to eat veggies- they hardly eat any. I'm staying tuned to see what you make and how it goes over Maybe I'll have to pick up a copy of this!

The Justice Family said...

That is great! It might even help me eat more veggies. So far Luke likes pretty much everything. I noticed that Rachel Ray makes things that you can hide veggies in. I can't wait to see what your first meal is.

The Justice Family said...

Have you tried the V-Fusion by V8? An 8 oz glass has a full serving of vegitables and fruit. It taste just like fruit juice. My favorite is the strawberry banana. (I cannot stand regular V8juice.) Luke loves it, but he likes everything.

Shannon said...

Traci, that is brilliant! I didn't even think of the V8 fruit juices. They are really yummy, too. I'll have to see if he'll go for it.